Archive for year: 2018
BWR Lab had a successful 5k competition coming in 1st place amongst the team 5K open competition. The lab had also impressive top ten finishes within individual age brackets as well (as below)
BWR Lab Team named “Feel the Burn” – 1st place in Team 5k OPEN race
Dr. Levi, 1st in age bracket
Noelle Visser, 3rd in age bracket
Karen Kessel, 3rd in age bracket
Charles Hwang – 8th in age bracket
Dr. Levi – 14th overall
University of Michigan
Burn/Wound and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory
Benjamin Levi, MD
Close Collaborators at UM:
Yuji Mishina, PhD : School of Dentistry
Ernestina Schipani MD, PhD: Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Paul Cederna MD: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Our NIH/DOD funded laboratory focuses primarily on the role of trauma on stem cell migration and differentiation. Specifically, we focus on bone healing both in the craniofacial and appendicular skeleton. Additionally, we focus on the process of heterotopic ossification after trauma. Heterotopic ossification (HO) leads to bone deposition in extra-skeletal sites severely restricting range of motion, limiting prosthetic use and causing chronic pain and wounds. HO occurs in over 20% of primary hip replacements, extremity traumas, amputations, large total body surface area burns, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and pressure ulcers, and over 65% of repeat hip replacements and blast injuries. Our group focuses on early detection and prevention through targeted mechanism-based therapeutic approaches.
- Peterson JR, De La Rosa S, Oluwatobi E, Cilwa KE, Agarwal S, Buchman SR, Cederna PS, Xi C, Morris MD, Herndon DN, Xiao W, Tompkins RG, Krebsbach PH, Wang SW and Levi B. Treatment of Heterotopic Ossification through Remote ATP Hydrolysis. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Sep 24;6(255). PMID: 2525367.
- Peterson JR, Eboda O, Agarwal S, Ranganathan K, Buchman SR, Lee M, Wang SC, Mishina Y and Levi B. Targeting of ALK2, a receptor for BMPs, using the Cre/lox system to enhance osseous regeneration by adipose derived stem cells. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2014 Sep 17. pii: sctm.2014-0082. PMID: 25232183.
- Peterson JR, Eboda O, Brownley RC, Cilwa KE, Pratt LE, De La Rosa S, Agarwal S, Buchman SR, Cederna PS, Morris MD, Wang SC and Levi B. Effects of Aging on Osteogenic Response and Heterotopic Ossification Following Burn Injury in Mice. Stem Cells Development. 2014 Aug 14. PMID: 25122460.
- Agarwal S, Loder SJ, Brownley C, Eboda O, Peterson JR, Hayano S, Wu B, ZhaB, Kaartinen V, Wong VC, Mishina Y, Levi B. BMP signaling mediated by constitutively active Activitype 1 receptor (ACVR1) results in ectopic bone formation localized to distal extremity joints. Dev Biol. 2015 Feb 23.
- Agarwal S, Loder S, Brownley C, Cholok D, Mangiavini L, Li J, Breuler C, Sung HH, Li S, Ranganathan K, Peterson J, Tompkins R, Herndon D, Xiao W, Jumlongras D, Olsen BR, Davis TA, Mishina Y, Schipani E, Levi B. Inhibition of Hif1α prevents both trauma-induced and genetic heterotopic ossification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Dec 31. pii: 201515397. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26721400.